Ten men hold on for three points

Tim ChannonFirst Team

Scott Bakkor became the first Bay player in nearly three years to score in four consecutive games.

Scott Bakkor became the first Bay player in nearly three years to score in four consecutive games.

THE Seagulls survived for 26 minutes with ten men to earn a 2-1 home victory over Prescot Cables (December 6) and complete a league double over the Merseyside club.

 Ironically in the week it was announced Colwyn Bay had topped the Evo-stick’s Fair Play League for November, Jack Phillips was sent off for a second yellow card against his former club midway through the second half.
 The ten men, however, held out to bag the three points.
 That put them within three points of four clubs in the top five who are all on 35 points and five behind leaders Scarborough – although four of the seven clubs ahead of the Bay in the current table have games in hand.
 The Seagulls, with Tom Schofield and Jack Kelleher both unavailable due to work commitments, had much the better of the first half and should have been more than 1-0 up at half-time through Scott Bakkor’s  30th minute goal as he burst through the middle to score from Danny Andrews flick on.
  That was Bakkor’s eight goal of the season and meant he had scored in the last four consecutive games – the first Bay player to do that since Rob Hopley at the end of the 2012/13 season.
 The Bay wasted two or three other excellent opportunities in that first half by delaying their shots too long when running balls into the area, while Louis Corrigan was unlucky when he spotted the keeper off his line and his effort from near the half-way line hit the bar.
  The Seagulls did add a second goal, however, on 53 minutes with Gaz Grant’s header from a Luke Denson corner, after Chris Gahgan’s shot had been touched round the post by Prescott keeper Lee Novak.
 It looked comfortable for the Bay at that stage, but Phillips’ second yellow card for kicking the ball away in frustration at an offside decision as he was breaking clear on goal, gave Prescot  new hope.
 Chris Gahgan then had a third Bay goal ruled out for offside, but Prescot pushed hard in the closing 15 minutes with Kieran Wolland making a couple of very important saves before Valter Hernandes pulled a goal back in the 90th minute as the ball rebounded to him in the area.
  Colwyn Bay, with few refereeing decisions going their way, had their backs to the wall in an anxious three minutes plus of added time, but held out to take the victory.
 Following the 1-0 win at Prescot in September, this is the first league double by a Bay side since two wins in six days over Vauxhall Motors in the Christmas and New Year games of the 2013/14 season.
 Colwyn Bay: Kieran Wolland, Luke Denson, Louis Corrigan, Gaz Grant, Tom Hardwick (c), Kyle Armstrong, Jack Phillips, Will Booth, Chris Gahgan (Liam Turner 90mins), Scott Bakkor, Danny Andrews. Subs not used: Will Jones, Mike Roddy, Shaun Dowling and Drew Matthews.
Attendance: 152
 Updated League table on www.colwynbayfc.co.uk/league
Gaz Grant heads Bay's second goal from a corner in the win over Prtescot. Photo by Caroline Thomas

Gaz Grant heads Bay’s second goal from a corner in the win over Prescot. Photo by Caroline Thomas