Ten man Bay hold on for a point

Tim ChannonFirst Team

THE Seagulls held on for a point in a 2-2 draw at Ramsbottom United after playing the last 25 minutes with ten men.

Ben Cartwright  got a straight red card for kicking out at a Ramsbottom player on the floor after a free kick during an altercation after a foul was awarded for his initial challenge, but although the home side hit the post in the closing minutes, the ten men were able see out time.

The Bay had started the game well with Carl Lamb’s great run down the right setting up a simple finish for  Jack Kelleher after just six minutes and the Bay had two or three excellent chances to kill the game off after that.

Jordan Harper had a shot from six yards blocked by the keeper’s body and was off target with two other good opportunities.

Ramsbottom then hit back with two goals in six minutes near the end of the half to take a 2-1 lead.

Jake Cliffe headed the first on 34 minutes after Luke Denson had cleared a shot from Zack Hargreaves off the line, and then Carl Rodgers turned the  ball into his own net trying to cut out a low cross from the left on 40 minutes – although the Ramsbottom player had looked well offside before delivering the cross.

Jordan Harper equalised on  52 minutes when the ball broke for him nicely inside the area, although again he looked well offside, and  Kelleher had a chance to put the visitors back in front but scuffed his snatched shot wide.

The sending off gave Ramsbottom the incentive to go for a winner, but although they came close on two or three occasions, the Seagulls managed to hang on for the point.

Cory Williams came on for the last 20 minutes to mark his return after missing the last 10 games through injury.

Colwyn Bay: Andy Farrimond, Ben Cartwright, Luke Denson, Carl Rodgers (c), Jordan Fagbola, Stephen Wilson, Josh Sumner, Bradley Bauress, Jack Kelleher, Carl Lamb Jordan Harper (Cory Williams 70mins). Subs not used: Craig Ellison, Antonie Boland, Liam Jones, Adam Carpenter.

Attendance: 110