Superb away win at table toppers

Tim ChannonFirst Team

Gaz Grant returned from injury and headed the opening goal.

Gaz Grant returned from injury and headed the opening goal.

TWO second half goals saw the Seagulls end a  four match winless run and move five places up the table with an excellent 2-0 away victory at table toppers Bamber Bridge (Sept 17).

 It closed the gap on current  joint league leaders Bamber Bridge and Kendal Town to six points with a game in hand on both of them.
 Colwyn Bay had the two best chances of a goalless first half, but Will Jones steered the ball wide of an open goal after just beating the keeper to a terrible back pass, and then Gaz Grant headed wide from two yards from a corner.
 But Grant, back in the side after injury, made amends seven minutes into the second half when he headed the opening goal at the far post from another Louis Corrigan corner.
 Home keeper Marcus Burgess made an excellent double save to deny Chris Gahgan and then Will Jones from the rebound, and  also did well to palm out a Jones header from under the bar from another corner.
 Colwyn Bay enjoyed some luck when the home side hit the under side of the bar from a corner. The Bamber Bridge players were adamant the ball had bounced down over the line before being hacked clear, but the officials disagreed.
  The home side then hit the post from a free kick and keeper Shaun Pearson, also making a welcome return after injury, made a superb diving save to beat away a shot from home substitute Kitt Gregory, and beat out a fierce header by Chris Churchman.
  Colwyn Bay survived the onslaught and  broke away to secure victory with an 83rd minute penalty following a trip on Scott Bakkor.
 Luke Denson put away the spot kick to cap an excellent game by himself.
 Bamber Bridge pressed hard in the closing minutes, forcing a number of corners, but  Colwyn Bay defended well to bag their second clean sheet of the campaign.
  New loan signing Danny Byrnes was introduced for the last 12 minutes to feel his way into the squad.
  Manager Paul Moore agreed the return of Pearson and Grant at the back had made a big difference.
 “It was a bit touch and go with Gaz before the game, but I’m majorly pleased he came through it okay because he’s a big player for us – and that’s why he is on contract.
 “When we have our first choice back five together we don’t concede many goals and having  Shaun and Gaz back gave us a really solid platform to start from.
 “I also gave young Boothy (Will Booth) a second start in midfield and I thought he was fantastic. He put in a really good shift.
 “We knew there would be parts of the game where they, as the home team, would dominate possession, so you have to manage the game well and I thought we did that excellently.
 “We’d also worked on set pieces on Thursday and that served its purpose with Gaz scoring the first goal from a corner.  In fact, we could have scored at least two more from corners and overall I thought we deserved the win because we have worked extremely hard and have looked a threat when we’ve got forward.
 “The lads are buzzing and now we need to take that into Tuesday’s game at Prescot Cables (7.45pm).
 “They know we’ve been through a difficult period and we’ve had to battle through that, but hopefully, with players coming back and a bit of luck going our way for a change today, we have turned the corner.”
 The  only worrying note is that skipper Tom Hardwick picked up a painful knock on his knee, but is hoping to recover in time for Tuesday.
 After starting the season with a five-match unbeaten run in the league, Prescot have suffered a real blip recently, losing their last three cup and league games and conceding 11 goals – including a 5-0 home defeat to Mossley at the weekend.
 Colwyn Bay: Shaun Pearson, Luke Denson, Louis Corrigan, Gaz Grant, Tom Hardwick (c),  Will Booth, Chris Gahgan, Tom Schofield, Will Jones (Danny Byrnes 78 mins), Gaz Burnett (Mark Keddie 87 mins), Scott Bakkor. Unused subs: Adam Whitlock, Rhys Bowers, Chris Bibby.
 Attendance: 231
The Seagulls celebrate after Luke Denson's match-clinching penalty.

The Seagulls celebrate after Luke Denson’s match-clinching penalty. Photo courtesy of Paul Vause Sports Photography.