Super save denies Rey late winner

Tim ChannonFirst Team

COLWN BAY extended their unbeaten run to four games, but will rue a couple of big missed chances in a 0-0 draw with North Ferriby United.
Aaron Rey was also denied a last-gasp winner by a fantastic save from North Ferriby keeper Adam Nicklin.
After a scrappy first half in which neither keeper had a save to make, the Bay should have taken the lead on 70 minutes when Lanre Olapade’s great cross picked out the unmarked Marc Williams in front of goal, but the skipper’s header from six yards was straight at the keeper.
Obi Anoruo then broke free inside the area but pulled his angled shot wide of the far post.
Colwyn Bay had struggled for a lot of the first half against tight-marking and tough tackling opponents, but the back four again defended superbly.
The Bay then upped their game in the second half, when they created those two great chances to take the lead.
Marc Williams worked hard in midfield to open things up – despite constantly being fouled and getting little protection from the referee.
Colwyn Bay, however, were fortunate late in the game when North Ferriby’s Tom Denton sent a towering header against the crossbar and Josh Ollerenshaw made a diving save from the follow up header.
Bay’s keeper also made a flying save to his left to turn a shot from Danny Clayton away for a corner.
But the Seagulls looked as though they might have won it with the very last kick of the game.
Aaron Rey’s measured shot from 18 yards was heading for the top corner of the net, until Nicklin produced a fantastic leaping save to tip it one-handed over the angle.
“I thought it was in,” said manager Frank Sinclair afterwards. “I was jumping in the air celebrating, but the keeper has made a top save.”
The referee blew for time before the corner could be taken.
Victory would have put the Seagulls into the top six of the table, and although the draw means they drop to 12th, they are still only three points behind fourth-placed Guiseley.
The manager added: “It was a tough game. They (North Ferriby) worked very hard to stop us playing our normal game and although we matched them for effort we didn’t get the ball down and get our passing going enough, although you have to give North Ferriby some credit for that.
“I felt sorry for Obi (Anoruo) because he was feeding off scraps all afternoon. We couldn’t get him into the positions where he could run at players and he had his back to goal a lot of the time scrapping for 50-50 fight balls against two big centre backs.
“But we still had the best chances in the game and I am disappointed we didn’t win, but on reflection it is not a bad result against a team that are tipped to be in the play-offs again.
“Earlier in the season we could have ended up losing that game, but now we are starting to stand up to teams a lot better.
“I said it would take six, seven or even eight weeks for a whole new group of players to get to know what we want them to do, but they’re getting it now and we will get stronger and stronger.
“Its four games unbeaten and if we keep nicking points and winning the games we should be winning, we’ll be in the right half of the table.”
Colwyn Bay: Ollerenshaw, Olapade, Moss, Anjos, Bembo-Leta, Noone, Buckley, Anoruo, Hopley (Rey 68 mins), Williams (c), Royle. Subs not used: Sharpe, Haywood, Sinclair, Hodgson.
Attendance: 286.

Colwyn Bay Reserves had their game at Llanrwst postponed as the ground was needed for cricket commitments.