Sinclair sees red in controversial defeat

Tim ChannonFirst Team

THE Seagulls conceded an 89th minute goal in controversial circumstances to suffer a cruel 2-1 New Year’s Day defeat at home to Stockport County.
Frank Sinclair, forced to play from the start due to the squads injury crisis, scored for the second time in five days and looked to have rescued a point for the side. But he then got a second yellow card for dissent when Stockport snatched their late winner moments after the referee refused to give a free kick for a foul on Chris Sanna.
The keeper confirmed afterwards that he was dragged to the floor by an arm around his neck and the Stockport player involved admitted immediately it was a foul.
Sanna had the ball jarred from his grasp by the incident and as Colwyn Bay struggled to clear, Stockport then gained a free kick near the touchline which was whipped in for Scott Spencer to head in at the far post.
Colwyn Bay had the strong wind at their backs in the first half and pinned Stockport in their own half at times, but couldn’t make it pay and fell behind to a Jack Ryan goal on 31 minutes.
Sinclair levelled the scores two minutes into the second half from Danny Taylor’s cross following a Wes Baynes free kick, from which Bay had strong appeals for hand ball waved away, and the team played well against the wind and rain in the second half with Paulo Mendes denied a second goal by a brilliant one-handed diving save by Stockport keeper Danny Hurst, who also saved efforts from Baynes and Obi Anoruo, who showed great pace to get round the back of the visitors defence.
Stockport, however, pressed hard in the final minutes, but with Sanna making a flying save from a Danny Glover free kick, Colwyn Bay looked like holding on for a point until that late drama.
Sinclair complained afterwards: “The referee has cost us the game, and I’m not just saying that because he sent me off.
“I lost my cool and let myself down and I apologise for that, but it is very hard not to say anything when you have worked so hard against a good team with a patched up side in tough conditions and then you lose because the officials have not made a decision.
“A feel desperately sorry for the lads because we have got our backs to the wall at the moment with all the injuries and having to draft four reserve team players into the squad. Everyone has worked their socks off and they deserved at least a point.
“I’ve had a conversation with the referee and he says he will look at it, but that’s no good to us now.
“He said he can’t see that it cost us the game because of the time which elapsed between the foul on Sanna and the goal.
“But if he gives the free kick – and it was one hundred per cent a foul, one hundred per cent – then we get ourselves organised again, clear the ball upfield and see the game out.
“Everything is going against us at the moment and it is very tough, but we will keep battling.”
Colwyn Bay: Sanna, Taylor, Moss, Olapade (Hodgson 59mins),Royle, Sinclair, Haywood, Anoruo, Hopley. Mendes, Baynes. Subs not used: Ollerenshaw, Pilliner, Hodgson, Watson, Saiel.
Attendance: 496.