Seagulls lose seven goal cup thriller

Tim ChannonFirst Team

THE Seagulls bowed out of the Emirates FA Cup and suffered their first defeat of the season as they went down 4-3 at Droylsden (Sept 2nd).

Two goals from Jamie Rainford and one by Astley Mullholland couldn’t save them after twice going two goals down, although they missed a couple of good chances and Rainford got the ball in the net again – but the flag was already up for offside.

Another poor start saw the Bay behind inside seven minutes as a goalmouth scramble from a Droylsden corner saw Alex Frost prod the ball home from almost on the line.

Jamie Rainford scored twice and had a third goal ruled out for offside

Mulholland saw a shot blocked after being set up by Jack Hindle, but the Bay were level on 16 minutes when Jamie Menagh’s shot was blocked by a defender and the ball rebounded for Astley to fire past the keeper.

Jamie  Menagh then had a shot narrowly over the bar, but the Bay fell behind again on 24 minutes when the powerfully built Dominic Smith beat the offside trap and ran clear to fire past Matt Cooper.

Worse was to follow when Menagh’s risky attempted back pass  gave the ball away just outside his own area and the ball was crossed in for Ciaran Kilheeney to slide in Droylsden’s third.

Jamie Rainford failed to connect in front of goal from Will Booth’s header before the break, but Jamie got the Bay back in it on 57 minutes when he beat the Droylsden keeper to a long ball into the area to make it 3-2.

Earlier  Astley Mulholland had got free inside the area but fired a good chance over the bar, while Jack Hindle was denied by a diving save from the keeper.

Droylsden, however, always looked a threat when they attacked and they went 4-2 up on 65 minutes when Jamie Frost cut in from the right and rifled an angled shot into the far corner of Matt Cooper’s net.

Again Colwyn Bay came back and  Jamie Rainford slotted the loose ball into an unguarded net after a fumble by home keeper Richie Branagan (4-3).

The Seagulls fought hard for an equaliser, but apart from Rainford’s disallowed goal for offside they didn’t really stretch the keeper and were lucky not to concede a fifth on the break with Dominic Smith firing over the bar from six yards.

Manager Phill Hadland said: “Our defending as a team and key individual errors in the first half did the damage and left us with a mountain to climb at half-time.

“I thought we battled well second half (which Bay won 2-1) and in all honesty should have scored more goals  as we’ve had significant chances where we should have done better. But our defending in conceding four goals is a problem that we need to rectify for Tuesday’s game at Trafford.”

See video of the goals on courtesy of Ellie Tagaras.

Colwyn Bay: Matt Cooper, Will Booth, Shaun Holden, Dan Collins (Jack Kelleher 66 mins), Sam Barnes (c), Gaz Grant, Jack Hindle, Jamie Menagh, Jamie Rainford, Astley Mulholland, Danny Andrews. Subs not used: Kris Leigh, Liam Turner, Luke Horrocks and Louis Barnes.

Attendance: 174

Droylsden score their first goal in a goalmouth scramble.