Seagulls advance in FA Cup

chrisFirst Team

Colwyn Bay are through to the Fourth Qualifying Round of the FA Cup following a 2-1 win at home against Ossett Town. First half goals from James Ellison and Cameron Darkwah secured the victory and a place in Monday’s draw.

The Seagulls looked comfortable at half-time with a 2-0 lead, but couldn’t force a killer third goal and Ossett made it an uncomfortable last 15 minutes after pulling a goal back and battling hard to try and force a replay.
It was a spirited second half effort by the Evostik Division One North side, but Colwyn Bay held on for a precious win that has netted a further £7,500 in prizemoney for the club.
They got the boost of an early goal after 10 minutes when Tom Smyth’s long throw was headed on by Rob Hopley for Jamie Ellison to head his first goal of the campaign from close range.
Ellison then hooked a chance just wide as he got in behind the Ossett defence to reach a Gaz Evans pass and Charlie Joyce was denied by an excellent save from Ossett keeper Tom Taylor.
There was no saving Cameron Darkwah’s stunning strike from 30 yards, however, which whistled past the diving keeper for what was a crucial second Bay goal on 41 minutes.
Darkwah had been a threat on the left, but he was forced out of the game by injury early in the second half.
Colwyn Bay had chances to kill the game off , but Taylor made two excellent reflex saves to deny Hopley and Danny Meadowcroft from set pieces, while Smyth and substitute Jamie Matthews both put half chances over the bar.
As the game progressed so Ossett pushed more men forward and Chris Sanna made a flying save to tip a Ryan Qualter header round the post for the second of three quick corners.
From the third of those, Andrew Fox forced the ball over the line from close range to make it 2-1 and set up that nervous finale.
The Bay did still had chances to kill the tie off, with Ed Moss firing narrowly wide and then fellow sub Steve Connor breaking clear inside the area but skying his shot over the bar.
The Bay, in fact, put together some good counter-attacking moves at times, but were too often let down by the final ball.
That kept Ossett’s hopes of forcing a replay alive and as they strove for a late equaliser, Fernando Moke had a goalbound volley deflected wide off a Bay defender, while right at the death Ossett skipper Qualter headed another chance over the bar from a corner.
The final whistle was a relief for the Bay fans, who now await Monday’s draw for the next round with interest.

Frank Sinclair’s reaction can be found on Tim Channon’s blog.