Sanna injured in Barrow defeat

Tim ChannonFirst Team

COLWYN BAY couldn’t hold onto a 1-0 half-time lead at Barrow and were beaten 3-1 after losing goalkeeper Chris Sanna with a back injury in the second half.
Wes Baynes had put the Seagulls in front with an excellent shot from the edge of the area on 29 minutes, but Sanna was clearly struggling in the second half and after Barrow equalised through an Andy Cook header from a corner on 58 minutes, he was replaced by reserve team keeper Gareth Rees.
Rees made an excellent diving save from Sam Sheridan and was then very unlucky on 77 minutes when he made another excellent reflex save to beat out a close range header only for Johnny Gorman to score from the rebound.
Sheridan added a killer third goal for Barrow four minutes later.
Manager Gus Williams praised the way Rees had stepped into the breach for his senior debut in front of a 1,000 plus crowd, but felt the injury to Sanna was a big factor in Barrow turning the game round in the second half.
The keeper suffered a back spasm towards the end of the first half and his back stiffened up badly during the half-time break.
Jonathan Royle had to take the goal kicks and so dropped back from midfield, where Barrow were then able to dominate with Prince Haywood also struggling with an injury suffered just before the break.
Barrow did not manage one shot on target in the first half, but the manager believes the injury to Sanna was a factor in the equalising goal which turned the game.
“Second half we knew they would bombard us because they were chasing the game, but unfortunately for us Chris got that injury at the end of the first half and that badly affected his mobility.
“The injury was a distraction for the players who weren’t sure if Chris was staying on or going off and they were focusing on that rather the actual corner itself and allowed their guy a free header.
“That turned the game. They only needed that one goal to get the crowd behind them and push them on.
“On a positive note, we showed great resilience, the players applied themselves very well and their attitude was unquestionable.
“I don’t think 3-1 was reflective of the game as a whole and a draw would have been a truer reflection.
“It is a transitional period for us and the players have had to take in a lot of information in training and that is something they need a little time to digest mentally and physically to help us move forward.
“But there are 15 games left and we’ve set ourselves a points target which is certainly achievable with the ability we have in the changing room – especially with the likes of Tom Buckley and Mike Wilson coming into the squad.”
Meanwhile it was a big day for Gaz Rees who admitted he never expected to get on and had never played in front of a crowd as big as that.
But the manager commented: “He has stepped into the breach and did really well, fair play.”
Colwyn Bay: Sanna (Rees 61mins), Taylor, Moss, Noone, Lea, Royle, Anoruo, Haywood, Hopley, Baynes, Bove (Seddon 86 mins). Subs not used: Saiel, Olapade, Seddon, Hodgson.
Attendance: 1,080.