Reserves reach final as first team draw

Tim ChannonClub News, First Team

ON a day when  an Adam Whitlock hat-trick saw the Reserves reach the final of their League Cup with a 3-1 win at Llangefni, the first team ended their  league campaign with a 0-0 draw at Grantham.
 The Reserves, who are holders of the trophy, will now play Llanberis, who beat Meliden 3-0, in the final at Bangor City’s Nantporth stadium on Tuesday May 10 (7:30pm).

 The successful reserve team line-up was:  Scott Williams, Liam Jones, David Algeiri, Ste O’Neill, Adam Hodgson, Owen Jones, Joe Collier, Will Frost, Sean Sheridan, Adam Carpenter,  Adam Whitlock. Subs: Sion Noble, Ole Desay, Charlie Jones and Pierce Jones.

 The Youth team, however, lost 3-1 in extra time to Llanfairpwll in the semi-final of the North Wales Coast FA Junior Cup at Bangor, with Oly Desay getting their goal.
 The first team closed their league programme with a third game unbeaten and their second clean sheet in three games, although it was a scrappy end-of-season encounter with neither side showing too much quality in the final third.
 The Seagulls had slightly the better of the first half with the stiff wind behind them but never seriously tested the home keeper.
 Grantham, in fact, had the best chance of the half, but Leandro Browne shot straight at Andy Farrimond from little more than 12 yards.
 The home side made two early substitutions in the second half and created some good openings, but Farrmond, who showed some excellent handling at corners, made a diving catch from a Danny Meadows shot, beat a shot from Browne round the post for a corner and made a good block in a one-on-one with Stefan Bilyk to keep his second clean sheet.
 At the other end Josh Sumner went closest for the Bay with a free kick that rippled the top of the net as it just cleared the bar and a home defender made an excellent block when Carl Lamb broke forward promisingly for a shot.
 Colwyn Bay finished their second successive relegation season  second from bottom and eight points adrift of safety, but will take a three-match unbeaten run into Tuesday’s League Cup semi-final at Marine (7.45pm)
 Colwyn Bay: Andy Farrimond, Ben Cartwright, Luke Denson, Carl Rodgers (c), Stephen Wilson, Josh Sumner, Bradley Bauress, Jack Kelleher (Antonie Boland 59mins), Carl Lamb, Jordan Harper (Cory Williams 74mins). Subs not used: Sean Pearson, Nathan Quirk, Shaun Dowling.
Attendance: 193