Precious victory at Mickleover

Tim ChannonFirst Team

Adam Morgan scored his first goal for the club in the win at Mickleover

Adam Morgan scored his first goal for the club in the win at Mickleover

GOALS from Adam Morgan and Jack Kelleher gave the Seagulls a battling 2-1 away victory at Mickleover Sports (March 15) to move to within six points of the safety zone in the battle to avoid relegation.

The home side dominated much of the first half, with Ben Cartwright (who did well in a new central defensive pairing with skipper for the night Antonie Boland) racing back to clear off the line after Jake Green had chipped keeper Craig Ellison.

But it was Colwyn Bay who took the lead on 37 minutes against the run of play with a stunning shot from near the right touchline by Adam Morgan which dipped over home keeper Ross Durrant and into the net.

Mickleover equalised through full-back Jake Bennett on 64 minutes, when Colwyn Bay were down to 10 men with Jordan Harper off the field receiving treatment, but after Josh Sumner had a fierce shot tipped over the bar by Durrant, the Seagulls regained the lead 15 minutes from the end with Jack Kelleher scoring from close range following a corner.

The Seagulls then had to survive a late onslaught from the home side with Shaun Dowling clearing off the line from a corner and then Craig Ellison, after clawing a header out from under the bar, produced a flying one-handed save to turn a John McGrath free kick round the post with virtually the last kick of the game.

The result moved Bay to within three points of Mickleover with a game in hand and to within six of fifth-bottom Stamford, who lost 4-1 at home to Darlington, with three games in hand.

Manager Kevin Lynch was delighted with the win, but was keeping his feet firmly on the ground.

“Its nice to win, but we are not singing and dancing.  We’ve got 12 more cup finals to play and must treat every game as such.

“The objective tonight was to get three points which we did; now we must focus on the next match at home to Grantham on Saturday, knuckle down and go again.

“Hopefully the fans will come and support us and we can give them something to cheer about at home.”

The manager made four changes from the side that lost at Whitby four days earlier, with central defender Jordan Fagbola among the players left out, and said: “We were all so disappointed with the performance on Saturday. It was not acceptable and we had to freshen things up.

“Sometimes you have to take players out of the equation just to reflect and hopefully come back stronger. That is what we hope the lads who were left out will do.

“I thought those who came in did themselves credit. It wasn’t the greatest spectacle, but  when two teams are down their fighting for points it is never going to be a pretty game. We dug in well and showed some character again which was pleasing.”

The win came at a price, however, with Cory Williams (hamstring) and Jordan Harper (knee) both going off with injuries which make them doubtful for the weekend.

COLWYN BAY: Craig Ellison, Shaun Dowling, Liam Gibson, Ben Cartwright, Antonie Boland, Stephen Wilson,  Cory Williams (Carl Lamb  27 mins), Bradley Bauress, Jack Kelleher, Adam Morgan (Connor Roberts-Nurse 88mins), Jordan Harper (Josh Sumner 64 mins). Subs not used: Luke Denson and Nathan Quirk.

Attendance: 162