Point for Bay at Solihull

chrisFirst Team

Two goals from Jamie Ellison earned the Bay a point in a 2-2 draw at Solhull Moors – but it was a game the players and manager Frank Sinclair felt they should have won.
In the end two refereeing decisions denied them a victory.
After being a goal down at half-time, they had turned things around to lead 2-1 with the help of a penalty, but Solihull were then awarded what looked a very soft penalty to equalise and the Colwyn Bay were denied a much clearer penalty when Cameron Darkwah was felled in the area as he went past a defender in the box.
The manager commented: “If the first one is a penalty then so is the second.
“The referee has made some bad decisions for both sides and I am definitely not happy about their penalty because for me Danny Taylor has won the ball and it was not a foul.
“But the big decision the ref got wrong was not to give us a second penalty (for the Darkwah incident) because that was definitely a penalty.
“But it shows how far we have come when we are going home with a point and are not happy because we should have won the game.
“We have let Solihull off the hook and the main reason for is not having had a game for two weeks.
“We looked rusty, particularly in the first half when two many people were not at the races.
“But we were still good enough to get a point and be disappointed not to have all three.
“In the final shake up for the play offs this may prove to be a very good point, but personally I am not happy because I know we are better than that.”
The Seagulls certainly seemed to lack sharpness in the first half after that two week break, were hesitant in decision making and gave the ball away too easily at times.
They just seemed to be getting a grip on the game when they were caught on the break on 29 minutes for Ryan Beswick to send Darryl Knights clear on the left to beat the advancing Chris Sanna with a neatly-taken angled shot which nestled inside the far post.
Sanna then made an excellent save to turn another Knights shot for a corner and apart from a Sean Williams shot which was straight at the keeper, Colwyn Bay never really posed a threat.
Whatever the manager said at half-time did the trick and after Gaz Evans had forced a good save out of Jasbir Singh, the Seagulls drew level on 56 minutes with a Jamie Ellison penalty after Rob Hopley was barged in the back.
Singh then did well to turn another Ellison shot round the post for a corner, but was given no chance on 63 minutes when an attempted headed clearance from a corner fell perfectly for Ellison to fire a shot into the top corner of the net from the edge of the area.
The Bay looked to be control of the game at that point with Hopley bringing a diving save from the keeper, but Solihull were given a way back with the penalty for Taylor’s challenge, put away by Ryan Beswick.
In the closing stages Colwyn Bay had the Darkwah penalty appeal turned down, and could’t force a winner as Sean Williams shot narrowly wide and Hopley had a deflected shot saved by the keeper.
The point keeps the Bay in ninth place and they are nine points off the play-off places, although they do have two games in hand over Boston, who lost today and are the Bay’s next opponents at Llanelian Road next Saturday.