Penalty save prevents victory

Tim ChannonFirst Team

LOUIS MOSS had a 49th minute penalty saved by home keeper James Belshaw as Colwyn Bay drew 1-1 at Tamworth.
The Seagulls had taken the lead after nine minutes when Rob Hopley scored with a fine header from a Louis Moss cross for his first goal of the campaign.
But they conceded a soft equaliser eight minutes later when Josh Ollerenshaw’s poor clearance from a back pass went straight to Leon Mettam who scored from 25 yards.
It was a really poor goal to give away and gave Tamworth such a lift that they produced a period of sustained pressure in which they were close to taking the lead.
Colwyn Bay, who gave the ball away too easily in midfield, somehow survived that and almost regained the lead in the closing seconds of the half when Belshaw made two fine saves in quick succession from Obi Anoruo and Chris Noone, and Marc Williams headed narrowly wide.
For Bay’s second away game running the home keeper was named Man of the match and Belshaw’s spot save, after Tom Buckley had been fouled chasing a rebound after the keeper had made a brilliant diving one-handed save from Anoruo, kept the teams on level terms and Colwyn Bay had to defend well to survive more fierce late pressure to secure the point that extends the unbeaten run to five games.
They did threaten on the break, however, with Obi Anoruo deflecting a Louis Moss shot into the net only to be flagged offside, and right at the end Aaron Rey might have won it, but saw his shot deflected inches over the bar off a defender.
Colwyn Bay, who badly missed Jonathan Royle in midfield after he failed to make the game through illness, were well below their best and disappointed manager Frank Sinclair said he felt it was two points dropped.
“Tamworth are going through a bad spell and I wanted us to take advantage of that, but we weren’t good enough on the day,” he said.
“We had seven or possibly eight players who did okay, but that is not enough to win a game of football.
“There was not enough sharpness in our play and we seemed to be missing our usual fluency and energy. If we had played anywhere near like we can we would have won the game, so although I’ll take the point which keeps our unbeaten run going, I am very disappointed with the performance.
“Next Saturday is a massive game for the club in the FA Cup and we’ll have to play a lot better than this if we are to reach the next round.”
Colwyn Bay: Ollerenshaw, Olapade, Moss, Anjos, Bembo-Leta, Noone, Buckley, Anoruo, Hopley, Williams (c), Haywood (Rey 63minutes). Subs not used: Sharpe, Hodgson, Saeil.
Attendance: 543.