Penalty save foils Bay – your comments

Tim ChannonClub News, First Team

THE Seagulls had an 85th minute penalty saved and then conceded a spot kick goal themselves five minutes later in a 2-0 home defeat against Worcester City.
The visitors went ahead with a 15th minute goal when they broke quickly after clearing the ball out of their own goalmouth and Micah Evans’ strong run down the right and perfect pull back from the byeline set up Tristian Dunkley for the only goal of the first half.
The Bay were then denied an equaliser by some excellent saves from Worcester keeper Ryan Boot, who has just returned to them on loan from Port Vale.
He saved a close range effort by Mike Lea in the first half from a corner and held onto shots from Marc Williams and Wes Baynes before half-time, while Mike Wilson headed inches wide from another corner.
In the second half Boot made a fantastic reflex save to keep out a close range header by Lea from a Wes Baynes free kick, did well to beat away another strong shot from Baynes and later dived to turn a Tom Buckley shot round the post.
The crucial moment, however, came when dived to his left to palm away James Ellison’s penalty, after Ellison himself had been tripped in the box.
With only five minutes to go, a goal then that would probably have rescued a point for the Bay, but the save, as well as deflating the Bay, gave Worcester a huge lift and in the last minute of normal time they got a penalty of their own when Sean Geddes went down just inside the box and Geddes made no mistake from the spot to seal the points.
Frustratingly, while their own keeper was probably man of the match, Worcester had not really tested Chris Sanna in the Bay goal in the second half, although central defender Aaron Brown was unlucky when his header from a free kick rebounded off a post.
Seagulls boss Gus Williams commented: “The penalty save was a game changer. If we score it is 1-1, we have the momentum and with five minutes left we could have possibly have gone on to nick it.”
More disappointing news for the Bay was that skipper Marc Williams, who was making his comeback after seven weeks out with injury, could face another lay off after hobbling off in the second half after going over on his ankle as he landed awkwardly from an aerial challenge.
He says it is a different injury to the one that has kept him out for so long, but fears he could be looking at another two to three weeks on the sidelines. A full assessment will be made once the swelling has gone down.
Colwyn Bay: Sanna, Taylor, Moss, Wilson, Lea, Royle, Baynes, Noone (Buckley 80), Hopley, Williams (Anoruo 65), Ellison. Subs not used: Rees, Haywood, Saiel.
Attendance: 245