Penalties end League Cup challenge

Tim ChannonFirst Team

Drew Matthews scored Bay's opening goal after getting his first start of the season.

Drew Matthews scored Bay’s opening goal after getting his first start of the season.

A PENALTY shoot-out ended the Seagulls involvement in the Integro Doodson League Cup after they had led 2-0 at half-time at Northwich Victoria (Nov 16).

  Two second half goals saw Northwich level the scores before winning the shoot-out 5-3.
 Manager Paul Moore made nine changes from the side that started against Lancaster City last weekend, but although Northwich dominated much of the possession, it was Colwyn Bay who led at the break.
 Drew Matthews, making his first start of the season, chipped an angled shot over the keeper and inside the far post to put the Seagulls  in front after only six minutes, and then Jack Kelleher doubled the lead on 31 minutes when he ran onto Chris Gahgan’s through ball to chip the advancing keeper.
 Northwich missed the target with a couple of really good opportunities and although Bay were forced to defend for much of the half, Shaun Pearson was not seriously tested.
 The home side, however, got themselves back in the game on 58 minutes when a low cross from former Bay full back Lanre Olapade was turned into the net from close range by Godwin Abadaki.
 The Bay should then have wrapped up victory with a third goal.
 Substitute Gaz Burnett was clean through and went round the keeper, but with an open goal in front of him saw his shot rebound off a post. Chris Gahgan  mishit the follow up shot and Drew Matthews was flagged offside as he unsuccessfully tried to turn the ball in at the third attempt.
 The Seagulls paid the price for that miss when Northwich equalised on 76 minutes through Matty Clarke’s sharp finish from John Pritchard’s free kick into the area.
 The Bay finished strongly after introducing further substitutes Scott Bakkor and Tom Schofield, but they couldn’t force a winner and the tie went to penalties.
  Northwich successfully scored all five of their spot kicks, but after Bakkor, Gahgan and Mike Roddy had all scored for Bay, Tom Hardwick saw his effort saved by home keeper Mason Springthorpe and Jamie Hinchliffe scored Northwich’s fifth penalty to put them into the next round.
 Colwyn Bay: Shaun Pearson, Liam Turner, Shaun Dowling, Kyle Armstrong, Tom Hardwick (c), Michael Roddy, Michael Pino (Tom Schofield 86 mins), Drew Matthews (Scott Bakkor 64 mins), Jack Kelleher (Gary Burnett 57mins), Chris Gahgan, Danny Andrews. Subs not used: Gareth Grant and Will Jones.