Pearson injury is new blow

Tim ChannonFirst Team

AN injury to goalkeeper Shaun Pearson was the main concern for the Seagulls as they were beaten 3-0 at Darlington 1883, where a disputed second half penalty turned the game.

Pearson suffered knee ligament damage near the end, with Luke Denson having to take over in goal, and that leaves the club scrambling to find a replacement keeper for Tuesday’s League Cup tie at Radcliffe.

“Its a  massive blow because the  physio thinks Shaun could be out for some time,” reported manager Kevin Lynch.

The keeper had made a couple of excellent diving saves in the first half to help the side reach half-time at 0-0 and still in the game, despite Darlington seeing efforts hit the bar and the foot of the post.

But the penalty decision on 53 minutes,  which the Bay players vigorously contested, gave the home side the breakthrough.

Nathan Cartman’s shot came back off the post and when Lee Gaskell went down as players from both sides tried to reach the rebound,  the referee immediately pointed to the spot for Terry Galbraith to put his side ahead.

Jordan Fagbola was booked for the alleged trip but the manager said later : “Jordan says he didn’t touch the guy who went down,  and to make matters worse their player has said it wasn’t a foul either.

“Goals and decisions like that change games and when you are down there like we are those are the decisions that seem to go against you.

“In the first half I thought we dug in well and showed plenty of commitment against a very good and well-organised side, but the penalty  turned the game.

“The players were so frustrated with the decision they went into their shells and the game went away from us.”

Two goals from Darlington skipper Kev Burgess, a far post tap in on 57 minutes after the Bay failed to clear the ball from a set piece and a close range header from a corner six minutes from the end, secured the points for the top six side.

Colwyn Bay rarely troubled the home defence, although Bradley Bauress failed to convert a  couple of good far post  chances.

“Against a side as good as Darlington,  you’ve got take what limited chances come your way and we should have done better with the ones we got,” admitted the manager.

Colwyn Bay: Shaun Pearson (Shaun Dowling 90 mins), Connor Roberts-Nurse, Mike Lea, Jordan Fagbola, Antonie Boland, Carl Rodgers (c) Bradley Bauress, Luke Denson, Shaun Tuck (Joe Williams 70 mins), Josh Sumner, Jordan Hartper (Steve Boothman 65mins). Subs not used: Will Bell and Glenn Matthews.

Attendance: 1,077


THE  Reserves reached the third round of Welsh Alliance Craig Bragdy Pools Reserve Division  League Cup with a 1-0 victory over Glan Conwy, thanks to Mitch Taylor’s match-winning goal.