Lightning strikes twice against Goole

Tim ChannonFirst Team

with their pace up front HE Seagulls suffered a big setback in their chase for a top five spot as they were beaten 3-1 away to a Goole side fired up by a new management team who were taking charge for the first time (December 3rd).
 Manager Paul Moore had warned of  lightning striking twice after the previous Goole management team made their debut against Colwyn Bay in September and inspired the Yorkshire side to end a five match losing run then with a battling 2-2 draw, and so it proved
 On a day when the bottom three sides in the Evostik Division One North all won, second-bottom Goole went at it straight from the start showing a great desire and workrate and played the poor surface much better.
 Even though Scott Bakkor’s looping header gave Colwyn Bay a 16th minute lead, it didn’t dampen Goole’s spirit, with their pace and passing constantly opening up the Bay defence,  and two goals in the space of two minutes turned the game their way.
 Bob Johnson headed the first on 23 minutes from a right wing cross and then Nathan Modest guided a first time shot out of the diving Kieran Wolland’s reach and just inside the far post.
 The Seagulls improved their attacking play with the introduction of Will Jones and Will Booth at half-time, but  Goole were always a threat with their pace up front and high work rate and Nathan Modest rifled in their third goal on 67 minutes after the Bay failed to clear the ball.
 Only a fine diving one-handed save by Wolland prevented home substitute Daniel Nicholson adding a fourth.
  Goole then defended with great determination as Bay launched a late rally in which home keeper Thomas Beaurepaire made good saves from Scott Bakkor and a Louis Corrigan free kick (earning him Goole’s man of the match award) and home defenders put their bodies on the line to block a number of other efforts and so ensure there was no way back into the game.
 Moore admitted he was disappointed with the performance and the result.
  “When you look at where they are and where we want to be then we should be managing the game much better, but they showed more will and desire and we just didn’t turn up first half.
 “There was no service to the forwards, the midfield was non existent and as a unit the defence was poor. When the forwards are having to track back and fight for the ball and then run 40 metres to try and set something up, you are not going to win football matches.
 “I thought when we scored first, albeit against the run of play, it might settle us down, but although we were better after making the half-time changes, overall we wasted a lot of possession and that was poor.
 “Its a setback and we have to revaluate and look at the areas where we have to improve.”
 Colwyn Bay: Kieran Wolland, Luke Denson (Jack Kelleher 81mins), Kyle Armstrong, Tom Hardwick (c), Michael Roddy (Will Booth 45 mins), Jack Phillips, Tom Schofield, Chris Gahgan (Will Jones 45mins), Scott Bakkor, Danny Andrews. Subs not used: Liam Turner and Shaun Dowling.
Attendance: 180.