Late goals sink Reserves’ cup hopes

Tim ChannonAcademy news

Greg Hall scored Bay's goal to put them level at half-time.

Greg Hall scored Bay’s goal to put them level at half-time.

A DISAPPOINTING second half for the young Reserves saw them concede three goals in the last 15 minutes to lose 4-1 to Treaddur Bay in the quarter-finals of the Lock Stock Fireworks League Challenge Cup at The Oval.

The visitors came out of the traps quickly and went ahead after only five minutes from a hopeful ball forward that eluded the Bay defence.

The windy conditions made it difficult for both teams to settle into a rhtym, but Colwyn Bay equalised when a perfectly timed through ball from Michael Taylor enabled Greg Hall to bear down on goal and made no mistake from a tight angle

Trearddur  Bay hit the angle of bar and post shortly afterwards following an impressive attacking move, but there were no other clear cut chances created and the teams went in at half-time  level at 1-1, with Colwyn Bay finishing the half the better.

There were early signs that the Bay  were going to take control of the game in the second half,  but the away team nullified Bay’s attacking threat very well throughout the majority of the half, and with every passing minute started to look the more likely winners.

Sure enough, they went on to take the lead in the 75th minute. when keeper  Matt Brookes, who had previously made some outstanding saves,  was eventually beaten by a scuffed finish into the corner of the net following a scramble in the penalty area
 The Bay reacted by making two quick substitutions, allowing a change in formation to commit bodies forward in an attempt to salvage something out of this game, but unfortunately things just didn’t work out as planned.
 Trearddur went on to score two brilliant counter attacking goals in the 80th and 85th minutes, one of which was a perfectly timed left foot volley from 10 yards out that no goalkeeper would have saved, and ending up deserving winners of the day.
Full Time: Colwyn Bay 1  Trearddur Bay 4
Colwyn Bay Man of the Match: Matt Brookes
COLWYN BAY: Matt Brookes, Edward Parry, Huw Jones, James Williams, Jac Pardanjac; Liam Jones (Oli Mason-Lane 60 mins), Owen Jones; Ole Desay (Jack Nettleton 75 mins), Adam Carpenter, Michael Taylor (Sam Carrier 80 mins); Greg Hall.