Late goals secure first victory

Tim ChannonClub News, First Team

TWO goals in the last 17 minutes gave Colwyn Bay a 2-0 victory at Llandudno on Tuesday night.
It was a first victory for manager Frank Sinclair’s new look squad, on Llandudno’s brand new artificial surface, and he believes the group are starting to mould together after two tough challengers against Fleetwood and Wrexham.
“It was a game we were expected to win, but there was still a lot of good things to take out of it and Llandudno played well in the fist half,” he said.
“We are starting to get an understanding now and hopefully we can build on that over the next couple of weeks.
“We now have some real athletes in the squad and we will be more athletic, have more pace and, I believe, be stronger physically than last season. If we continue to progress and the players fully take on board the way I want them to play then we can be a real force in the league.”
The manager completed the signing of Bangor-born Welsh Under-17 international central defender Tom Clarke after the game.
Clarke, who turns 18 in August, was captain of Oldham Athletic’s youth team last season and has been capped four times by Wales at Under-17 level.
“He has the credentials to be a top defender at our level,” said the manager.
Clarke looked strong and solid against Llandudno and was unlucky to have a well-taken goal ruled out by an offside flag following a free kick.
Colwyn Bay forced five corners to one in the first half and only a brilliant save by home keeper Connor Wearing stopped Moustapha Saiel finding the top corner of the net.
Saeil also curled a free kick inches wide of the far post and with the side producing some good football, both Obi Anoruo and Marc Williams missed good chances to score before Wearing saved well again from Anorou’s strong run.
In the second half, with five trialists coming on at the interval, Danny Gossett had a shot cleared off the line before Adam Eaden broke the deadlock on 73 minutes with a well-struck shot from just outside the area into the bottom corner of the net.
A brilliant one-handed save by substitute keeper Jack Cookson stopped Gossett adding a second, but two minutes from the end Aaron Rey fired the ball into the net at the second attempt after the keeper had saved well with his body.
With still three or possibly four places in his squad to fill, Frank said all five trialists had done well and are all fighting hard to make his final choice a tough one.
The Seagulls play the reserves at Llanelian Road on Saturday (July 26, 2pm) before entertaining Bala Town next Tuesday (July 29, 7.45pm)

THE reserves lost 3-2 at home to Neston on Tuesday, with Andy Booker scoring both their goals to take his tally to four in two games. The Bay conceded three poor goals, but missed a lot of chances of their own, including a penalty, and also hit the bar.