Late goals give Reserves victory

Tim ChannonAcademy news

Liam Jones was named Bay's man of the match.

Liam Jones was named Bay’s man of the match.

THE Reserves, after two previously scheduled fixtures against Caernarfon Town were postponed, made it third time lucky at The Oval in Llandudno (Jan 14), as they came from behind to claim an excellent 4-1 victory with a late goal rush.

  The Bay side featured three changes from last weekend’s line-up, but found themselves a goal down after just three minutes as the visitors got off to a flying start.
 With a powerful run from central midfield, their right winger tricked his way into the area and as he reached the bye-line, squared across the six yard box for the central striker to tap into the open goal.
Despite the early set back Bay kept their cool and equalised midway through the half as Oli Mason-Lane’s curling free kick from just outside the area took a deflection off the wall to beat the Caernarfon keeper.
 It was a much deserved first goal of the season for the attack minded midfielder, but he unfortunately had to be  substituted due to injury moments later.
 The remainder of the half was a tight affair, both teams battled hard to try and take control of the game but clear cut chances were at a premium.
Half Time: Colwyn Bay 1 – 1 Caernarfon Town
 Caernarfon started the second half very well, producing some slick passing moves, generally down the left flank, and Bay centre backs Liam and Huw Jones had to be at their best to deny the opposition on numerous occasions.
 Town then went on to miss a golden opportunity as a brilliant ball into the area was twice flicked towards goal, only for the ball to skim the outside of the post before going just wide. In the end the away team would be made to pay for their profligacy in attack.
 With 10 minutes to go Bay got their reward for weathering the storm. Following some sharp interplay out on the left hand side, the ball was cut back to the edge of the area, where Adam Carpenter arrived late to hammer a strike low into the bottom corner to make it 2-1.
 Fired up by taking the lead, Bay took full advantage to kill the game off.
Ole Desay capped off a fine individual performance by providing a deft touch for the onrushing Ted Parry to lash home from close range and make it 3-1 a couple of minutes later.
 And there was still time for the Bay to add a fourth, scored by Jack Nettleton who had performed excellently since entering as an early sub.
 The tenacious striker beat the opposition goalkeeper to a hopeful forward pass about 30 yards from goal, allowing him to roll the ball into the empty net.
  Manager James Perkins added: “In truth the final score was harsh on a Caernarfon side who had played well throughout. That being said, the Bay produced an excellent defensive performance, which provided the base for a fantastic display of attacking football during the final 15 minutes.”
Full Time: Colwyn Bay 4 – 1 Caernarfon Town
COLWYN BAY: Matt Brookes. Edward Parry, Liam Jones, Huw Jones, Jac Pardanjac; Adam Carpenter, Owen Jones (Sam Carrier 75′); Oli Mason-Lane (Jack Nettleton 30′), Matt Jones, Ole Desay; Greg Hall (Callum Ellis 83′)
Colwyn Bay Man of the Match: Liam Jones.