Late goals foil fightback

Tim ChannonFirst Team

TWO late goals sunk Colwyn Bay after they had fought back from three goals down against Oxford City.
In the end poor defending saw their six-match unbeaten run come to an end with a 5-3 defeat against an Oxford side who moved into the top four with their fifth away victory of the campaign.
Oxford got into their stride much quicker than the Bay and swept into a 3-0 lead inside the first half an hour, with goals from Darren Pond, Marlon Jackson and substitute Javi Rodriquez against some poor Bay defending.
Marc Williams got a goal back with a superb volley following a corner and the Bay could have got the deficit down to one goal before the break, but for Obio Anoruo firing a great chance over the bar from 12 yards.
But the Seagulls did draw level with two goals in four second half minutes.
Obi Anoruo scored from the rebound when Tom Buckley’s shot on the run was blocked by Oxford keeper Freddie Hall after 64 minutes, and then Anoruo’s challenge on the edge of the area after Jonathan Royle had won possession, saw the ball break for Williams to round the keeper and slot in the equaliser.
The momentum looked to be with the home side then, with Anoruo firing another half chance over the bar, but Oxford were always a threat when they attacked and indecision by Filipe Anjos proved fatal as Adi Yussuf muscled past him to put the visitors back in front on 78 minutes.
Deep into added time, with Bay committed to attack, substitute Felipe Barcelos burst free through the middle to add Oxford’s fifth with the last kick of the game.
Manager Frank Sinclair was left to rue his side’s poor defending.
“We showed some spirit and passion to get back to 3-3 which I called for half-time, but you can’t defend as poorly as we did and expect to win games.
“Filipe knows he has cost us at the end. If he puts the ball out of play we probably get at least a point, but throughout the game we’ve given away sloppy goals.
“Oxford are a good side and we knew their front two would be a handful, but we didn’t defend against them nearly well enough.
“It is disappointing to see our unbeaten run come to an end, but we can’t dwell on it. We’ve got a huge week coming up and should have Wes Baynes and Chris Noone, who we missed today, available for Tuesday (at Hednesford) and hopefully that will make a difference.”
Disappointingly Baynes was unable to make his debut today because his international clearance did not come through in time, while Noone was away on personal business.
Colwyn Bay: Sharpe, Olapade, Stephens, Anjos (Hodgson 82mins), Bembo-Leta, Haywood (Mendez 62mins), Buckley, Anoruo, Hopley, Williams (c), Royle. Subs not used: Ollerenshaw, Pilliner, Saiel.
Attendance: 261

THE reserves had a much better day and hit double figures in a 10-0 win at Meliden to make it two league wins out of two.
Former Middlesbrough player Lewis Sirrell led the goal rout with four, while Damien Ketley hit three and Pierce Jones 2. Josh Grant was the other Bay scorer.