Late goal is bitter pill for Reserves

Tim ChannonAcademy news

Adam Carpenter was named Bay's Man of the match.

Adam Carpenter was named Bay’s Man of the match.

THE Reserves saw a 2-0 half-time lead away to Llanrug disappear in the second half as the home side hit back to level the scores and then hit a late winner two minutes from the end.

Fired up by the disappointing result in the cup last time out, Colwyn Bay started the game with a real purpose, applying some great early pressure, with some brilliant link up play between Liam Jones and Jac Pardanjac down the left  a sign of things to come throughout the half.

 Bay top scorer Greg Hall missed a couple of golden opportunities to break the deadlock after being played through by Matt Jones and Adam Carpenter, but the visitors eventually took the lead after 20 minutes.
 After some backs to wall defending, the ball fell to Adam Carpenter on the edge of the Llanrug area and he made no mistake with the finish, rifling the ball low and hard into the bottom corner to put his side 1-0 up.
 Five minutes later the Bay doubled their lead when a scrappy clearance from a corner fell to centre back Callum Ellis, who bobbled a finish low into the corner and just out of goalkeepers grasp.
 More chances came and went, including an incredible missed opportunity to make it 3-0  after a poor decision during a three against one counter attack.   That proved to be very costly, as moments later the hosts halved the deficit with a curling effort from the angle of the area to beat goalkeeper Matt Brookes.
Half Time: Llanrug 1  Colwyn Bay 2
 The goal so close to half time clearly inspired the home side, who changed formation at half time to try to take advantage of being allowed back into a game that should really been way out of sight at this point.
 Bay struggled to display the same composure and confidence when in possession of the ball and found themselves in a real battle as Llanrug stepped up the pressure.
 Not many clear cut chances were created by either team throughout this half, but as the clock ticked down the pressure eventually told.
 An expertly guided through ball from deep in the midfield saw the Llanrug striker through on goal, and he fired into the top corner to level the scores at 2-2, despite the best efforts of defender Kyle Taylor who so nearly succeeded with a last ditch sliding tackle.
 With just a couple of minutes left on the clock there was one final twist as Llanrug broke quickly after Bay carelessly lost the ball in the midfield, and a perfect left wing cross was met by a diving header inside the six  yard box to make it 3-2.
 The Bay were made to pay dearly for not killing the game off before half time when they had the chance. Many positives could be taken from the display but overall a harsh lesson, and a result that was incredibly hard to take for everyone involved.
Full Time: Llanrug 3 Colwyn Bay 2
Colwyn Bay Man of the Match: Adam Carpenter.
COLWYN BAY: Matt Brookes, Kyle Taylor, Callum Ellis, Huw Jones, Liam Jones; Adam Carpenter, Matt Jones, Ole Desay, Jack Nettleton (Sam Carrier 70 mins), Jac Pardanjac, Greg Hall.