Late goal agony after penalty miss

Tim ChannonFirst Team

Scott Bakkor put Bay in front, but then missed a penalty.

Scott Bakkor put Bay in front, but then failed to convert a penalty.

THE Seagulls conceded an 86th minute equaliser after earlier having a Scott Bakkor penalty saved in a 1-1 draw at home to Colne (Nov 26).

 The Bay, chasing a third win in eight days, dominated much of the first half and were in front after 13 minutes when Bakkor scored from the rebound after a Danny Andrews shot had been blocked on the line.
 Only two excellent diving saves by Colne  keeper Tony Aghayere to keep out shots from Jack Phillips and Chris Gahgan  prevented further Bay goals before half-time.
 The visitors made two substitutions at half-time and came more into the game, but the Seagulls had a great chance to double their lead on 61 minutes when Bakkor was tripped in the area – only to see his spot kick well saved by the keeper diving to his right.
 That was to prove a costly missed opportunity.
 With just four minutes of normal time left, Colne defender Mark Ayres – who was a little lucky to still be on the pitch after earlier cynically bringing down Chris Gahgan as he was breaking clear on goal and escaping with a yellow card, headed the equaliser from a corner.
 That’s the third time in five weeks that the Bay have lost precious points by conceding goals in the last five minutes. Those three late goals against Glossop, Ossett Albion and now Colne have cost the side five  points that would have put them joint top of the table this weekend.
  “It feels like a defeat.” admitted manager Paul Moore after the game.
 “We should have killed the game off in the first half with the chances we had. The penalty miss was costly, but we were still 1-0 up and if we manage the game better and see it out then we take the three points.
 “Its another late goal conceded that has cost us and it is something we have got to learn from. We must be better at seeing games out and that is the next step for us to take if we are to progress.
 “But we’ve now gone five league games unbeaten, so we are putting a bit of run together. Our next two games are against  Goole and Prescot (both in the bottom five) and we need to take points from those.
 “If we keep plugging away and keep ourselves in touching distance, then hopefully we’ll be in the right place come March to get ourselves in the play-offs.”
 The Bay remain three points off a top five spot after this game and five points behind  joint leaders Scarborough and Glossop.
 Updated table on
 Colwyn Bay: Kieran Wolland, Luke Denson, Louis Corrigan, Gaz Grant, Tom Hardwick (c), Michael Roddy, Jack Phillips (Will Jones 83mins), Tom Schofield, Chris Gahgan (Jack Kelleher 88mins), Scott Bakkor, Danny Andrews. Subs not used: Will Booth, Kyle Armstrong, Mike Pino.
Attendance: 201.
THE Reserves had their game against Caernarfon Town postponed with Caernarfon unable to field a full team due to illness in the squad.
Scott Bakkor scores to put Seagulls in front against Colne. Photo by David Thomas

Scott Bakkor scores to put Seagulls in front against Colne. Photo by David Thomas