Home draw was ‘point gained’ says boss

Tim ChannonFirst Team

THE Seagulls conceded a 78th minute equalise in a 1-1 draw at home to a much improved Ossett Albion, which meant they lost  some ground on the top six.
 Yet it was game they could easily have been beaten with Matt Cooper making three or four crucial saves against an Albion side who really raised their game under new manager Alan Welsh.
 Bay boss Alan Morgan admitted: “I think it was a point gained for us today, because we never really got going.
 “They’ve got a new manager and showed real energy from start to finish. They were sharper, worked harder and won their battles while we were disappointing all over the park.
 “We let the players know at half time that it wasn’t good enough and second half I thought we started well, got the goal, but then went back to like we were in the first half, which wasn’t great.
 “It is a game we could have lost, but we didn’t and the positive thing is we’ve taken 10 points out of a possible 12 in the four games since we came in.”
  If anybody had offered the new management team that when they took over they would surely have taken it, but having set the bar so high in the previous games, the players failed to lift their game to that standard for much of this match.
 Albion were brighter from the start, looked anything but a bottom two side and it needed a couple of good saves by Matt Cooper to prevent them taking the lead before half-time, while a couple of other efforts went narrowly wide.
  Colwyn Bay’s only chance fell to Danny Bartle, who scuffed a hurried shot wide from Danny Andrews’ pass as a defender came in with a challenge.
 But the Bay started the second half better and were in front inside five minutes.
  Astley Mulholland hooked a good chance just wide following Danny Andrews strong run into the area, before Kyle Jacobs ran onto Astley’s pass and crossed low for Danny Bartle to tap home his seventh goal in the last five games.
   Albion came back strongly in search of an equaliser and twice brought saves out of Matt Cooper before levelling the match on 78 minutes.
  The referee awarded Albion a surprise free kick as they were attacking after spotting an off the ball shirt tug by substitute Luke Horrocks, who was booked, and when Bay failed to fully clear the free kick the ball back in produced a goalmouth scramble from which Aiden Chippendale forced the ball over the line.
 It needed a fantastic reflex save by Matt Cooper to keep the ball out from a close range deflection, before Will Booth had a late chance to win it for the Bay as the ball broke to him in the area, but he blazed fired his shot over the bar.
  The Seagulls now face a really tough Boxing Day test at in-form Prescot Cables, who will be on a high after an amazing 6-0 away win at Ossett Town.
 Josh Brizell will miss that game due to work commitments, but everybody else should be available and the manager added: “The lads know what is expected of them and know if they play like they did today they will not get away with a point again. We ‘ve got to do better in every department, but I’m looking forward to what will be a big, big test.”
 COLWYN BAY: Matt Cooper, Kyle Jacobs, Josh Brizell, Lassana Mendes, Gaz Grant, Sam Barnes (c), Danny Andrews (Nathan Brown 89 mins), Will Booth, Jack Hindle, Danny Bartle (Luke Horrocks 66mins), Astley Mulholland. Subs not used: Kris Leigh, Dan Collins and Louis Barnes.
Attendance: 237
  • TOP PICTURE: Danny Bartle scores his seventh goal in five games from Kyle Jacobs’ low cross. PHOTO BY DAVID THOMAS.
EVERYONE at Colwyn Bay Football Club would like to wish all our supporters and football friends throughout the game a joyous and very Merry Christmas.  Our next home game, after away games at Prescot Cables on Boxing Day and Colne next Saturday,  is New Year’s Day against Bamber Bridge (3pm kick off), so hopefully see you there.