Fightback sinks FA Trophy winners

Tim ChannonFirst Team

Wes Baynes was named Bay's man of the match.

Wes Baynes was named Bay’s man of the match.

AN excellent second half display saw the Seagulls come from 2-1 down to win 4-2 at FA Trophy winners North Ferriby United.
Colwyn Bay struggled against the strong wind in the first half, and although they took a sixth minute lead when Obi Anoruo broke clear to score from a clearance out of Bay’s own area, the lead lasted only a minute before Jason St Juste put North Ferriby level following a scramble in the area.
Giant centre forward Tom Denton then rose to put the home side ahead with a looping header on 37 minutes and North Ferriby had two other goals disallowed.
The Seagulls, however, dominated with the wind behind them in the second half and after Jonathan Royle had headed over the bar from two yards out and Marc Williams had a header saved at point blank range by the keeper following two of six Bay corners in quick succession, they equalised from the sixth.
The ball fell for Williams in the area and he touched it back for Chris Noone to score his first goal for the club on 67 minutes.
Seven minutes later the Bay were in front.
Marc Williams wriggled his way clear inside the area and although home keeper Tom Nicholson dived to his left to make a one-handed save, Rob Hopley was following up to score.
Prince Haywood and James Ellison were both narrowly off target with further efforts, before Marc Williams sealed the points in the first minute added time by volleying home an Ellison cross to make it 4-2.
With Brackley getting a surprise victory over league leaders Barrow, manager Gus Williams described the result as “a criticial win.”
He added: “The Brackley score shows you can’t rely on other results going your way. We have to take care of our own games and I thought we were outstanding in the second half with the three goals we scored being real team goals.”
Gus said the pre-match plan was to play against the wind in the first half if his side won the toss, explaining: “The last few games we have been better in the second half of games and we felt if we could contain them in the first half, we would be doubly effective in the second period with the wind behind us – and that worked a treat.
“Chris Noone’s goal for the equaliser was a real game changer. It gave everybody belief and we dominated after that.”
Marc Williams had two assists as well as his goal, but North Ferriby named Wes Baynes as their man of the match at the presentations afterwards for his overall contribution.
The result leaves Colwyn Bay one point ahead of Brackley and Stalybridge and four ahead of Leamington, with two games to go.
Colwyn Bay: Sanna, Baynes, Lea, Noone, Royle, Haywood (Saiel 90 mins), Anoruo (Seddon 90mins), Buckley, Hopley, Williams (c), Ellison. Subs not used: Rees, Hodgson, Bakker.
Attendance: 305.

THE Reserves lost a seven goal thriller 4-3 at home to league leaders Denbigh Town on Friday night after being 2-0 up at one stage.
Damian Ketley scored twice and Ben Roberts was Bay’s other scorer.