End of the road in FA Cup

Tim ChannonFirst Team

COLWYN BAY’s participation in this season’s FA Cup came to an end with a 1-0 replay defeat at Warrington Town.
A goal by Nathan Burke 10 minutes from the end was enough to put Warrington through to a home tie against North Ferriby in the next round.
Bay’s preparations for the match were disrupted when Tom Buckley pulled a calf muscle in the warm-up and with Lanre Olapade and Moustapha Saiel already sidelined by injury and Filipe Anjos released after costly errors in recent games, manager Frank Sinclair had to draft in Louis Moss to play even though he had only arrived back from the Caribbean earlier in the day after playing three games in six days for Barbados followed by a 13 hour journey home.
Paulo Mendes was also called up for his first start of the season, despite still short of match fitness after a broken foot.
“It was far from ideal, but we’ve had enough chances over the two games to win the tie and haven’t taken them – and paid the ultimate price for that,” said manager Frank Sinclair.
Obi Anoruo had a chance to give Colwyn Bay an early lead when he broke clear inside the area only to lift his shot over the bar, but Warrington were the stronger and more determined side for much of the rest of the first half and missed three or four excellent scoring chances of their own.
Colwyn Bay improved at the start of the second half but couldn’t turn a number of shooting chances into a goal and a 20 minute break for a floodlight failure didn’t do them any favours.
When play resumed, Warrington were again the brighter side and when Ben Wharton pulled the ball back from the byline, Burke ran onto it to fire past Ollerenshaw for the only goal of the game.
“You can’t use the break in play as an excuse because it is the same for both sides, but we switched off and for their guy to get his shot away inside the area with nobody putting in a challenge is unacceptable,” commented the manager.
“It is a very disappointing night because we had a great chance to reach the first round proper for the first time in 17 years. Now we must recover quickly physically and mentally for Saturday and not let this defeat be a turning point in our season.”
Colwyn Bay: Ollerenshaw, Bembo-Leta, Moss (Hodgson 85 mins), Royle, Stephens, Noone, Mendes (Haywood 71mins), Anoruo, Hopley, Williams, Baynes. Subs not used: Sharpe, Pilliner, Sinclair.
Attendance: 284.