Defensive errors prove costly

Tim ChannonFirst Team

COLWYN BAY scored two goals, had two strong penalty shouts refused, but in the end paid for defensive errors in a 3-2 home defeat against Boston United.
Manager Frank Sinclair said his side had “given the game away”.
“We’ve dominated most of the first half only to go a goal down with an unexplainable goal. We have then dominated the first 20 minutes of the second half, got ourselves back on terms, and then we’ve imploded and given the game away.
“We’ve scored two really bright goals, played very good football, but have gone to pot near the end and lost our discipline.
“We started like this last season, giving away soft goals with unforced errors, but slowly we got it out of our game and we’ve got to work hard now to do that again.”
Colwyn Bay started brightly and Boston keeper Sam Vince did well to beat away a Louis Moss free kick and then recovered well to block a follow up shot from Chris Noone.
Marc Williams missed out on a couple of headers and had a big shout for a penalty turned down when he was barged in the back as he went up for a header.
Boston had four players booked in the game for fouls, which showed some of the pressure they were put under, but they started to come back into the game at the end of the first half and after Josh Ollerenshaw had made a couple of good saves, they scored a soft goal on 38 minutes.
Colwyn Bay failed to clear the ball from a long throw in and Scott Garner’s deflected shot found the net through a crowded goalmouth.
The Seagulls again started brightly in the second half with Obi Anoruo hitting the bar with a header and they had another big shout for a penalty for handball waved away by the referee.
But the equaliser came on 60 minutes when Boston were caught out by a quickly taken free kick by Moss and Anoruo broke free inside the area before squaring the ball for Aaron Rey to score.
It looked like anybody’s game at that point, but after losing Rob Hopley with calf injury, Colwyn Bay failed to deal with another long throw and Dayle Southwell stole into the six yard box to score with a free header.
Five minutes later the Seagulls gifted Boston a third goal. Chris Noone lost possession trying to dribble the ball away from his own area and Kaine Felix was brought down by Tom Clarke as he burst into the area, for Southwell to score from the penalty spot.
It was a dreadful goal to give away and what’s worse it proved to be the winner, as Obi Anoruo broke clear in added time and lobbed the keeper for Bay’s second goal.
Colwyn Bay: Ollerenshaw, Olapade, Moss, Bemba-Leta, Clarke, Noone (Hodgson 82 mins), Buckley, Anoruo, Hopley (Haywood 58 mins), Williams, Rey (Parker 70 Mins). Subs not used: Clark, Pilliner.
Attendnace: 251.