‘Crazy ten minutes’ sinks Seagulls – report and your comments

Tim ChannonClub News, First Team

THREE goals in what manager Gus Williams described as “a crazy ten minutes” saw Colwyn Bay beaten 3-0 at home by ten-man Hednesford Town.
All three goals stemmed from free kicks into the area which the Bay failed to deal with.
The visitors had their captain Darren Campion sent off after 18 minutes following a challenge on Tom Buckley, but the Seagulls, who crucially lost top scorer Obi Anoruo with a jarred knee in the opening five minutes, couldn’t take advantage of the extra man.
Although they played quite well at times in the first half, their only shots on target were a stinging 25-yard effort from Jordan Bove which was punched clear by keeper Danny Crane and a Tom Buckley free kick well held by the keeper.
The game, however, went away from them in that disastrous second half spell, playing against a strong wind.
Chris Sanna, who had made a flying save from a Tom Thurley free kick in the first half, tipped two more efforts over the bar and Danny Taylor headed off the line from a corner before Hednesford took the lead on 68 minute with a close range shot by big defender Paul McCone from a free kick played into the area from near the right touchline.
Five minutes later McCone headed a second from a right wing cross following another set piece, and Hednesford got a third on 77 minutes when a Thorley free kick to the far post from near the left touchline was bundled in by Richard Batchelor.
Colwyn Bay, with Tom Buckley struggling with what looked like an achilles injury, rarely threatened the Hednesford goal after that.
Manager Gus Williams said he had been pleased with the first half, although he felt his side really needed to score in that period with the wind behind them against the ten men.
He added the players felt there should have been an offside decision prior to conceding the free kick from which Hednesford scored their first goal and they were still focused on that instead of getting on with the game.
“Afterwards it was a struggle for the players to come to terms with that,” he said.
“We’d spoken about not giving free kicks away in our own half, so the number of times we did that in the second half was disappointing and we certainly paid for it.
“I thought we were in control of the game in the first half and was confident at half-time, but after the first five or ten minutes of the second half we possibly lacked the desire to close people down and stop the ball at source before it got anywhere near our box.
“That was a prevailing issue and is something we have to address.
“You can’t sit back and give teams that freedom. Ultimately the ball is going to come into the box, and when it did we didn’t defend that well enough, which is something we’ve got to work on.
“We know the position we are in and without a shadow of a doubt we’ve got big few weeks ahead of us.”
The good news is that Anoruo’s injury is not thought to be too serious and he should be okay for next weekend’s long trek to Lowestoft, but Gus agreed his early exit from this game was a huge blow.
“He is a key player for us, so we had to deal with that, and it meant using one of our substitutes straight away. Tom Buckley was also struggling with a knock in the second half, but we couldn’t afford to take him off due to our limited options on the left side.”
Colwyn Bay: Sanna, Taylor, Moss, Wilson, Lea, Royle, Anoruo (Buckley 4mins), Noone, Hopley, Baynes, Bove (Haywood 70mins). Subs not used: Rees, Saiel, Olapade.
Attendance: 268.