Crucial win against Gloucester

Tim ChannonFirst Team

Obi Anoruo took his season's goals tally into double figures.

Obi Anoruo took his season’s goals tally into double figures.

THREE first half goals earned the Seagulls a crucial home win against third-bottom Gloucester City today in a 3-1 victory.
They got the boost of an early goal inside the opening nine minutes when Marc Williams cut in along the bye-line and his low cross-shot took a deflection past City keeper Jasbir Singh off a defender – although Marc says the ball was going in anyway and is claiming the goal as his, in what was his 50th competitive appearance for the club.
Singh then spilled the ball from an Obi Anoruo cross and Tom Buckley scored to double the home side’s lead on 18 minutes.
Gloucester got themselves back in the game nine minutes later when Tom Webb broke free on the right and beat Liam Sharpe, who was given his first start in eight games in place of Josh Ollerenshaw, inside his near post.
The visitors pressed for an equaliser and Sharpe did well to tip a Chris Jones free kick over the bar with a flying save, before Colwyn Bay got a crucial third goal just before half-time when Anoruo broke clear of the defence to fire past Singh to take his season’s goals tally into double figures.
Obi, incidentally, becomes the first Bay player to hit double figures by November 25th since Neil Black in 2007/8 – beating Jon Newby in 2010/11 by two days!
Gloucester pressed hard in the second half, but rarely troubled Sharpe and were fortunate not to concede a fourth goal when Anoruo, who had an outstanding game and was a handful all afternoon, rifled a shot against an upright after an electrifying run from the half-way line.
The result ended a four-match winless run for the Seagulls and lifted them nine points clear of Gloucester who remain in the bottom three.
Manager Frank Sinclair praised the side’s response after conceding six goals at Gainsborough last week.
“We went back to basics in training and the effort the lads have put in during the week was reflected in what was probably one of our best home performances of the season,” he said.
“Getting two early goals was important, but Gloucester are fighting for their lives at the bottom of the table and our third goal was crucial in killing them off. That was reward for Obi who worked really hard and was a real threat, although I thought there were a number of excellent individual performances.”
On the surprise decision to replace newly capped international Ollerenshaw with Wrexham loanee Sharpe, Sinclair commented: “Liam has been very patient and I’ve been looking for an opportunity to give him a game. With the way he has trained during the week while Josh has been away with the England C squad I saw it as a good time and he came in and did well.
“We are fortunate to have two good keeper’s in a small squad and I want everyone to play their part.
“It was a tough decision, especially with Josh winning his first England cap, but I am sure he will show the character to bounce back.”
Colwyn Bay: Sharpe, Taylor, Moss, Stephens, Royle, Noone, Buckley (Haywood 86mins), Anoruo (Mendes 87mins), Hopley, Williams, Baynes. Subs not used: Ollerenshaw, Hodgson, Mukendi.
Attendance: 295

THE reserves suffered their first league defeat of the season on Friday night when they went down 2-1 at Denbigh Town.
They took an early lead through Damien Ketley in the first minute, but Denbigh equalised before half-time and then hit the winner from a 71st minute penalty.
League leaders Llandyrnog won 2-0 at Llandudno Junction today (Saturday) to go six points clear of Colwyn Bay – but they have played three games more.