Bay win at Gainsborough

chrisFirst Team

Colwyn Bay maintained their impressive away form in the Skrill North with an excellent 2-0 victory at Gainsborough Trinity, the Seagulls’ eighth away win of the season in the league.

 The Bay had a huge slice of luck early on when Bradley Barraclough broke clear and shot past the advancing Chris Sanna, but the ball stuck in the mud in the goalmouth and Danny Taylor was able to race back and clear. rob-hopley

Trinity also had a header deflected onto the bar and Jamie Wootton broke clear only to shoot over the bar with just Sanna to beat. 

But Bay went close as well, with Rob Hopley (pictured) hitting the bar with an angled shot, Taylor shooting narrowly wide and Gaz Evans having a shot saved by the keeper, before they took the lead on 23 minutes. 

A great ball from Marc Williams picked out Gaz Evans in the area and although the keeper did well to half save his shot, Hopley was following up to score as the ball ran loose. 

Jamie Ellison then had a shot turned round the post by the keeper before half-time. In the second half, with the pitch cutting up badly, the Bay defended well against a strong wind and they made it 2-0 on 76 minutes. 

Ellison initially lost the ball, but managed to win it back with a sliding tackle and hit a low shot from 20 yards into the bottom corner of the net to secure the points. 

“I thought we played some fantastic counter-attacking football in very tough conditions and but for the final ball letting us down at times we could have made it a lot more comfortable,” manager Frank Sinclair told Tim Channon. 

The only downside was a calf injury Jonathan Royle suffered during the pre-match warm-up which forced Sinclair into a reshuffle with Mike Lea switching to centre back alongside Tom Smyth. 

“Jonathan seemed okay in a fitness test when we first arrived at the ground after complaining of a slight calf strain, but the muscle started to tighten up in the pre-match warm-up and we felt we couldn’t risk him,” Frank added. 

“We’ll send him back to Wrexham on Monday to get it properly assessed, but hopefully he has not done too much damage.”

More on Tim’s blog