Bay lose at home to Hednesford

chrisFirst Team

The Bay were beaten 3-1 at home by Hednesford Town in the Skrill North on Saturday to put a big dent in their hopes of challenging for the play-offs.
The result leaves them now nine points behind the top five and although there always remains hope while it is still mathematically possible, in reality defeat has left the Seagulls with a huge task.
Once again a poor start cost them dearly against a big, physical Hednesford side who led 2-0 at half-time.
They then added a third two minutes into the second half, and although Colwyn Bay pulled a goal back and Hednesford had midfielder Alex Melbourne red carded on 63 minutes for a wild kick at Marc Williams, the Seagulls couldn’t make the extra man count enough to get themselves back in the game.
Colwyn Bay were behind after only seven minutes when Hednesford defender Paul McCone headed his side in front from a perfect cross by Jamey Osbourne following a throw in near the corner flag.
Hednesford then had the Bay under the cosh for a time and had two shots deflected over the bar for corners.
Visitors keeper Dan Crane made a fine save to turn a Jamie Ellison header round the post from Colwyn Bay’s only real chance of the opening half hour, before the visitors doubled their lead on 45 minutes.
Bay skipper Rob Hopley was booked for foul in his own half and from the free kick the ball was fired goalwards by Charlie Anagho-Ntamark and, with Chris Sanna beaten, Hopley completed a bad few moments for him by slicing an attempted clearance off the line into his own net.
Crane did well to save on the line from Marc Williams just before the break, but straight after the restart Hednesford made it 3-0 on 47 minutes when Melbourne broke down the right and his perfect cross was headed home by Osbourne.
Two good crosses, two headers, two Hednesford goals – that was the story of the game in a nutshell.
Colwyn Bay immediately changed formation to go three at the back and three up front and got a goal back on 55 minutes when Hopley laid the ball off from a Tom Smyth free kick for substitute Cameron Darkwah to score.
The home side piled forward after Melbourne’s red card and Sean Williams and Jamie Ellison both went close with shots that were just wide of the target, while Crane dived to his left to beat away a Gareth Evans shot from Jamie Tolley’s pass.
Hednesford, however, pulled everyone back in defence and in the end held out fairly comfortably to take the three huge points to move up to third place in the table.
Colwyn Bay slip to 10th with Guiseley overtaking them, but are still well placed for a highest ever finish in the Conference North.