Bay lose at home to Altrincham

chrisFirst Team

Marc Williams was sent-off as Colwyn Bay lost  3-1 at home to Altrincham in the Skrill North on Saturday.
The Robins made it seven wins in their last eight games to consolidate their top three spot in the table, but the Seagulls were very much in the game until Marc was sent off six minutes from the end for his challenge as he went in for a 50-50 ball with Alty’s James Laurie.
Altrincham made the most of that by scoring a late third goal for a slightly flattering 3-1 victory.
They got the boost of an early goal after just five minutes when skipper Shaun Densmore’s run and cross set up simple a tap in for Damian Reeves.
Colwyn Bay came back strongly with Altrincham keeper Stuart Coburn diving to turn a deflected shot by Marc Williams round the post for one of four Colwyn corners in fairly quick succession, but Altrincham survived and then broke out to score a second goal on 26 minutes.
Nicky Clee’s clever pass opened up the Bay defence for James Walshaw to run clear and score.
Rob Hopley immediately got a goal back after good play by Marc Williams, and Jamie Crowther then saw a header loop narrowly past the angle before half-time.
Colwyn Bay played some excellent football in the second half as they pressed for an equaliser.
Coburn did well to save at the feet of Crowther from a Gaz Evans pass into the area and then made two sharp saves to keep out headers from Hopley, while substitute Cameron Darkwah fired a 20-yard shot narrowly over the bar following one of Bay’s 11 corners in the game.
Densmore also made a crucial goal-saving tackle when Marc Williams played in Darkwah.
Bay’s hopes of rescuing a point, however, were ended by the sending off with six minutes left.
Altrincham immediately made the extra man count as they gained a free kick 25 yards from goal and Nicky Clee flighted it beyond the diving Chris Sanna to seal the points.
Manager Frank Sinclair said: “The plan was to get men behind the ball in the first 20 minutes to draw them onto us and hit them on the break, but we sat too deep and showed them too much respect.
“When you do that against good players they can open you up. But having said that the first goal was because one of our players switched off and allowed the full back to get in – and when they (Altrincham) get free in the final third they make the right passes to hurt you.
“We had a few words at half-time and were like a different team in the second half. We bossed it, played some great football and up to the sending off I thought we would not only get level but possibly go on and snatch a winner.
“So it is frustrating because the lads deserved something out of the game for they way they played in that second half.
“I thought the sending off was harsh. It looked like an accident to me as both players went for the ball, but the referee has not given himself time to assess the situation and has gone straight for the red card which is disappointing.
“That is the first time Marc has been sent off in his playing career which shows he is not that type of footballer and we are going to miss him for three games now and that is a blow because he’s been a big part of what we have achieved this season.”
More bad news is that defender Mike Lea could be out for the rest of the season after pulling a thigh muscle again in training during the week.
“We will have him assessed again on Tuesday, but it looks as though he could be out for four weeks which virtually ends his season,” reported the manager.
But Sinclair insists he still has targets he wants to reach before the campaign ends.
“We won’t be chucking in the towel. I want to finish in the top 10 and at least get the five points we need to record our highest points total in Conference North. That would make it a good season for us,” he said.