Bay bow out of FA Cup

chrisFirst Team

Colwyn Bay’s hopes of reaching the FA Cup first round proper for the first time in 16 years were ended by Corby Town, who won 3-1 at Llanelian Road.Adapting much better to the windy conditions the visitors dominated much of the first half with Berwick and Stuart Hendrie a constant threat down the flanks, and went in front on 22 minutes when Stuart Hendrie easily outpaced Mike Lea on the right and chipped the ball over the advancing Chris Sanna.
With the experienced Lee Hendrie bossing the midfield, the Bay survived a couple more close calls while their only chance saw James Ellison shoot over the bar after Sean Williams, one of the few Bay players to show anything like the desire and tenacity needed, had done well to tee up the opportunity on the edge of the area.
Apart from that the Bay, badly missing the cup-tied Marc Williams, couldn’t pass the ball well enough to create openings and nobody was able to run at and stretch the Corby defence down the wings
The Seagulls had more of the ball in the second half, but Corby always looked comfortable and Bay’s equaliser on 76 minutes was a gift out of the blue.
Paul Walker, whose handling had been immaculate all afternoon, came to catch a free kick from Sean Williams but inexplicably dropped the ball for Rob Hopley to score.
Instead of consolidating, the Colwyn Bay lost their shape and discipline trying to chase a winner and were punished.
With his defence non-existent Chris Sanna had to come out of his area to head the ball away from Corby’s Tommy Wright, and no Colwyn Bay player was within yards of Nathan Rooney as he latched onto the ball 35 yards out and lobbed it back over the stranded keeper and Danny Meadowcroft on the line to put Corby back in front on 82 minutes.
Walker atoned for his earlier error with a fine save to tip Meadowcroft’s header over the bar from a corner, but three minutes into added time the Bay were wide open at the back again as Lee Hendrie broke down the left and crossed for unchallenged substitute Sam Ives to head the killer third goal.

More on Tim Channon’s blog