Bay beaten at home by Telford

chrisFirst Team

The Bay were undone by two controversial refereeing decisions as they undeservedly lost 1-0 at home to Skrill North league leaders Telford. The visitors won in the end with a very soft first half penalty while Colwyn Bay, who dominated the second half, were refused a huge shout for a spot kick themselves for handball. The only goal of the game came after 28 minutes when Telford’s Adam Farrell had a fresh air kick at the ball inside the area and then appealed for a foul although, any slight contact from Anthony Stephens, if there was any at all, came after he had missed the ball. But amazingly the referee gave the penalty and Farrell scored from the spot. “We didn’t get the rub of the green with the decisions today and I am disappointed for the boys because they’ve worked their socks off against a very good side who going for the title and we deserved to get something from the game,” said manager Frank Sinclair. “Their penalty was very, very cheap. Ninety per cent of the people I have spoken to afterwards have said it was never a penalty and we have had two good shouts for penalties ourselves and got neither – even though one looks a blatant hand ball when the lad’s hand is up in the air when the ball hits it.” Telford opened a three point lead at the top with this win, but their manager Liam Watson admitted: “We got battered in the second half but fortunately defended well. On the match-deciding penalty he said: “If it had been given against us I would not have been happy!” Bay keeper Chris Sanna tipped a header from Mike Grogan over the bar in the first half but otherwise was not seriously tested and Anthony Stephens went close to equalising for the Bay before half-time with a shot that just cleared the angle. The Seagulls then dominated the second half and were furious not to be given a penalty when a Gaz Evans cross was blocked by an outstretched hand inside the area. The Bay players couldn’t believe it when the linesman signalled instead for a corner. Telford keeper Ryan Young made a brilliant diving save to turn a goalbound header from James Ellison round the post and also made a crucial save at the feet of Gaz Evans from Rob Hopley’s cross, while Telford defender Neil Byrne cleared off the line when Evans had clipped the ball over the keeper. I thought the Bay looked more of a threat when Ellison, who was surprisingly left out of the starting line-up with Sean Williams given a more advanced role, came on in the second half. They pressed Telford really hard but didn’t get a break inside the area and the visitors, although they had a late Dan Preston goal ruled out for offside, will feel very relieved to have held on for a win that takes them a step nearer automatic promotion. Sinclair added: “I’m disappointed with the refereeing decisions, but I’m very proud of the boys because they have put in a great shift. “We had to change things around a bit because of losing Marc Williams (suspended) but James Tolley got the most minutes he has had for us so far. Although he is still lacking match fitness he did everything I asked of him, while Jay Ellison made a big difference when he came on so I’m pleased with everyone who was involved.” The Seagulls stay tenth and now look to be in a fight with Barrow, who won at Solihull today to move to within one point of Colwyn Bay, for a top ten finish. Colwyn Bay: Sanna, D Taylor, Stephens, Royle, Smyth, Crowther, Evans, S Williams, Hopley, Tolley (Ellison 56mins), Darkwah (Pilliner 86mins). Subs not used: Clark, Sinclair, J Taylor. Attendance: 629 Matchsponsors: venuetheclockhouse